The local cub scouts had asked me to accompany them on a forest walk to give them some culture and history. And so I guided them in the evening sun to the singing of blackbirds along the wooded southern shore of the BaggensstÃ¤ket narrows. History is thick there.
- Early and Late Modern sea-lane tavern.
- Napoleonic era small fort.
- 20th century cemetery.
- Early Modern customs station.
- Viking Period cemetery.
- 1719 battlefield.
- 1905 memorial celebrating the 1719 debatable victory.
- Early and Late Modern cemetery.
- And all the while across the water, Boo Manor with more Viking Period burials, a rune stone fragment and a shipwreck found recently in the shallows and largely destroyed by dredging.
There was a also a bit of personal history for me. One of the scouts, an unusually pretty and accomplished young person, turned out to live in the house where I grew up, and in my old room!