Selected Facebook updates:
- John Lennon offers a grammar lesson: “A working-class hero is something to be”. It’s an adjective and a noun. Not a verb.
- A friend of mine is rehearsing Orff’s Carmina Burana and not loving it: “I’m liking the work less with every rehearsal and we’re performing it three times in one week, so pity me in my Nazi-approved quasi-Medieval dungeon where the artistic ceiling is looow indeed!”
- Kelly Link believes that reindeer have manes.
- Swedish Xenophobe Party tries to get Parliament fact finders to list MPs with foreign citizenship. You couldn’t make this up.
- The next issue of Fornvännen contains the words “Martin Rundkvist has praised the use of metal”.
- Remember my slow boogie “Anarchy in the UK” problem? Today a Swedish spelmanslag folk string orchestra is playing the guitar intro from “Ziggy Stardust” in my head, complete with the typical rhythmic emphases.
- Hugo Ball wrote a biography of Hermann Hesse.
- My next book will be titled The Soteriology of Lake Sottern. Towards a Limnology of Salvation.
- A teacher in a Stockholm school just sent me a warning about impending poor grades in English and French for a certain Sven. I’ve never heard of him before. Nor his mom. I wonder what she’s been telling them.
- This is scandalous. I’m marking exams for students born years after I lost my cherry.
- My son’s Skyrim character is so loaded up with gear that he can’t move faster than at a walk. Among other things, he carries the big toe of a giant and 23 tomatoes.
- Man tells kid to quit throwing gravel at his window. Kid’s dad shows up with two friends, threatens man with gun and beats him with a didgeridoo. Don’t harsh my mellow, dude!
- I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK. Je suis à l’ombre Jacques et je suis d’accord. Jag tillhör skuggan Jakob och jag jobbar på ackord.
- 85% of the Swedish Xenophobe Party’s voters have no post-high-school education. 50% haven’t even completed high school. This is very rare in Sweden and suggests that the party already has all the voters it can attract.
- In Swedish, “Vespasianus” means “mopeds in butt”.