- The rise of right-wing populism and the election of so many complete crooks and morons worldwide to public office really rams home the point that there is no good system of governance. Just a less bad one.
- A new version of Facebook Messenger just asked me if I wanted to continue as Martin Rundkvist. The sun is shining. I’ve had a nice lunch. I have a loving family, and I need to drive Jrette early to school tomorrow for a skiing trip. I clicked yes.
- Facebook’s Android app keeps reading my phone book, identifying my contacts and suggesting them as Fb friends. Creepy.
- Been offered an extension of my temp teacher contract, which in effect probably means the rest of the spring semester with the same classes, and a small raise. Got enthusiastic responses from students when I told them they’re stuck with me. Paid off my half of the renovation costs for Jrette’s teen boudoir after half a year of instalments. Won a bottle of prosecco at the staff raffle, which my wife will enjoy.
- Did a vote canvassing roleplaying exercise the other night. Dude, they did not know who they were asking to role-play.
- Free of debt and on a generous full-time salary for the first time since 2002. Largely voluntary hardship, but hey, woo-hoo anyway!
- I’ve got a new thing going and I’d like to have some quick responses to test the waters. Here’s my pitch. I’m the son of an ancient storm god who created the universe and forced out all other gods. I’m here on Earth to tell you all about a new agreement between humankind and the Supreme Being that will give everyone an escape from death into everlasting bliss. Pretty cool, huh? How do you like it? Are you in?