The second of four weeks on the Aska platform mound went well too. Highlights:
- We’ve deturfed a total of 200 sqm and removed the topsoil.
- Thanks to some extra volunteers, I had 19 people working with me one day, a personal record.
- We’ve made some 1st millennium artefact finds, but they are quite humble so far: a few potsherds and belt knives only.
- The top 30 cm are quite disturbed, with occasional modern objects found below the level at which the hall’s postholes and wall lines appeared. These disturbances include at least one waste pit full of pig jaws.
- We have a point from a 13/1400s crossbow bolt and a 1559-60 coin of Gustavus I. They date from long after the hall was torn down, but are interesting anyway.