Returning to its usual Ascension weekend date and everyone’s favourite venue, the Linköping University campus, LinCon 2022 was its usual strong and nerdy self. I met loads of old and new acquaintances, gave a talk on Nils Mattsson Kiöping to a small but enthusiastic audience, bought two games at the flea market and enjoyed the auction camaraderie without buying anything there.
And I played eight games:
- Acquire (1964). Start companies, buy stock, make sure that your startups get bought up.
- Secret Hitler (2016). Social deduction à la Werewolf and The Resistance.
- Splendor (2014). Abstract colours and numbers.
- Viticulture (2013). Winery worker placement.
- Santa Maria (2017). Competitive solitaire cube pusher.
- 7 Wonders (2010). Civilisation builder. The only game I’ve ever really enjoyed with more than five players.
- Tichu (1991). Two good old Chinese card games combined into an even better hybrid.
- Space Lane Trader (2022). A competitive solitaire that should have been a video game.
2022 was my ninth LinCon. Here are my impressions of the previous one.